In Memory of Igor Oralov

>> Friday 15 August 2008


On July 18th, 2008 in Moscow Russia, Igor Oralov sadly passed away. Igor was riding a friends super stock 3 seater Aquabike and in a fast turn, he lost control and flew off the PWC and hit a seawall, he died from the serious impact. Igor was working as the Chief Course Marshal for the Russian Motor Sport Federation Aquabike Championships in Moscow. The race event was held at the Olympic rowing location. He was born on June 13, 1969, he was 39 years old.
Igor came to our K38 International Safety Summit that was held in Fregene, Italy near Rome. Fabio Annigoni who runs K38 Italy had been working for several years training course marshals in Russia for their Federation, and Igor was the lead person, highly seasoned and well liked by all.
Igor attended our summit and the K38 Russia connection was born, if not over a bottle of Vodka, perhaps we throw in some pasta, pesto, clams and bread, gosh we ate a lot! Igor came with Sergey Lisitsyn we talked about Russian Olympic athletes, our love for education and programs for boating, how highly respected Igor was in his field, since he spoke no English Sergey translated, and we all got along with hand gestures and smiles, no communication errors.
When it came to our training, it was all body and sign language as we spent 7 days together. The evenings we cut loose and the discussions about fine Italian wines versus the pleasures of Russian Vodka became diplomatic urgency. Vodka won. We had so much fun, those kind of memories carry us into old age and I'm sure our family members will be wondering what we are mumbling about when Alzheimers sets in and we begin long ago conversations with our Russian friends!
Two weeks ago I brought out my folder of K38 Summit images. I stopped on one of Igor staring back at me, I leaned back and smiled. I began thinking of what he is doing back home, how is Sergey, how is their season going? Today I received a call from Fabio, I immediately asked him 'Heya Fabio how is Igor? What is he doing". We were on Skype on video call, and my daughter Kyla was listening.
Fabio started to mumble. I turned the volume up. In the background Kyla said 'mom he said he is dead'. I said to Fabio, 'He's bad?? What do you mean he's bad?'. Fabio repeats 'dead, dead' in his heavy accent. I looked at my computer screen and my face stares back at me, stunned, I grab my head, like so many people in disbelief when they hear that someone they loved or knew is dead, simply dead. It sinks in and a barrage of questions begin, Fabio is very saddened and the communication trails off.
So how do we choose to remember those who have died tragically? As the shock wears off, the anger sets in, and the reality is firm, searching for old pictures, connecting with friends, connecting with anything that is familiar and unknown, we simply grieve. Igor I know helped a lot of people, it is a fact. It is one more feather in his crown. He was passionate about his love affair with Aquabikes, this I know and another feather to his dedicated service. He trusted our training knowledge enough to embrace it as his own, and his crown is almost full, others will fill in vast pieces. I know how much Igor was looking forward to the races, that was our common bond.
I write back to Fabio, he says that nobody wanted me to be upset about this, and that is understandable, the guys are always protecting me, for reasons others would not understand, so no judgment from that. Almost a month has passed since Igor left, but I already sensed it intuitively, he was visiting my memories and my unconscious already.
I was looking forward to seeing Igor and Sergey at our K38 Summit in Hawai'i this December and was nudging Fabio to get them to come to the IJSBA World Finals in Havasu.
The rule is every K38 international has to bring something familiar and well known from their region for our gatherings. So the Portuguese bring Sausage and cheese and compete with the Italians and the Spaniards bring wine and sausage and compete with everyone and the Brits bring tea (HAHA), and the Ruskies bring Vodka, and the french unbelievable wine and Chocolate and so on and we have a big food blitz!
I will bring a bottle of Vodka to World Finals and when the K38 Family gathers we shall all drink a toast to our friend Igor! I remember Sergey telling me all about Stoleshnikov vodka, the man behind the mix and the weapons and the magic of storytelling unfolds. I shall have to find a bottle, I remember Igor nodding earnestly in agreement!
Salut my friend!
Yours in Water Safety
On Behalf of the K38 Family
Igor Oralov Photo Album

0 comments:

Post a Comment


K38 UK contact details

K38 UK and Ireland
Master Instructor Ben Granata
Mob: +44 (0) 7875 413 722 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +44 (0) 7875 413 722 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Email: ben@pwctraining.com

www.k38uk.com

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP